Fourth of July Recipe Countdown!
If you haven’t had an apple dessert in a while, I have a recipe that will make you dream about them! The Fourth of July is next week and I am all about celebrating with the perfect party foods. What’s more American than apple pie?? Apple crisp in Mason jars and they are a cute, easy way to present dessert when entertaining. Tastes just like pie but without all the mess! Barbeques, Football watching parties, Memorial Day and Fourth of July are great for these cute lil jars of heaven. Ice cream is a bonus, just make sure you buy a mason jar that will hold the apple crisp and leave enough room at the top to add ice cream so that it won melt down the sides….caramel drizzle on top…ok, I will stop but you get the point. So good and so easy to make! Prep time is 10 minutes then pop it in the oven. It is such an easy recipe that you will see when you have extra apples, you will know what to do with them.
Heavenly Apple Crisp with Oatmeal Struedel “Original” Recipe
– 2 1/2 pounds medium Granny Smith, Golden Delicious apples (about 5 or 6) or I like to use Honey Crisp Apples but you can use whatever apples you like, just peel, core, and slice 1/4 inch thick
– 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (you may add more sugar if you like, I like my sweet)
– 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
– 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats ( you can use instant oatmeal packets too)
– 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
– 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
-Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Lightly coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter.
-Combine the apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt in a large bowl and toss to coat. Place the apple mixture in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
-Using the same bowl as for mixing the apples, mix together the brown sugar, oats, flour, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt until evenly combined. With your fingertips, blend in the butter pieces until combined.
-Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples and bake until the streusel is crispy and the apples are tender, about 50 minutes.
I love it warm and with ice cream on top :)