Football Foodies: Cheesy Chicken Empanadas
This week, Tony has found an awesome recipe from The Food Network that is sure to wow at your next tailgate or football watching party!
Cheesy Chicken Empanadas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced, seeded and ribs removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded then diced cooked chicken breasts (from leftover chicken)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey and Cheddar cheese blend
- 4 ounces cream cheese, diced
- Dash of hot sauce
- 1 egg
- Flour, for rolling
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
Chili Lime Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo sauce), minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray
- Put a large saute pan on the stove at medium heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add onion, jalapeno, garlic, green onions. Saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Mix the chicken, cheese, cream cheese, sauteed ingredients, and hot sauce in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg in small bowl and set to the side.
- Spread a little flour on your work area and unroll the pie dough.
- Roll the dough out into a 13-inch circle. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out 8, 4-inch circles. Knead the extra scraps, roll out, and cut extra circles if needed.
- Spoon one heaping tablespoon of the chicken filling in the middle of each crust circle. Brush the edges with the egg wash and fold in half.
- Gently press on the top to let out any trapped air. Seal the edges of the empanada with a fork. Brush the rest of the egg wash on the tops of the empanadas.
- Sprinkle with chili powder.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown, around 20 minutes.
- Serve with the Chili Lime Dipping Sauce (instructions below.)
Directions for Chili Lime Dipping Sauce:
- Mix yogurt, chipotle, lime zest and juice in a bowl.
Time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 25 min
Makes: 8 servings