Our first real cold snap is tonight. It won’t be cold later this week, but, for those of you who don’t already know this: WINTER IS COMING.
Yeah, ’round here we don’t have long winters. But saving on energy costs isn’t something to complain about. So here are some quick tips that will help you save:
- Change your air filters – Seriously, this works ALL THE TIME.
- Get your furnace checked out – It never hurts to just take a look at something to make sure it’s not on its last leg.
- Weather stripping will save you TONS – Changing it out can be a pain if you’re clumsy with glue, though.
- Glass windows actually radiate heat in the summer and cold in the winter, so cover that stuff up – Closing your blinds will help a bit here, too.
- Don’t set your thermostat too high … or too low – 68 to 70 degrees is ideal during the day and 64 degrees at night or while you’re away.
- Get a programmable or “smart” thermostat – It’ll help with the tip above but will also help you find more ideal temps for your home.