From Zazza & Julie
Tony Zazza has another fabulous recipe to jazz up your tailgate buffet or the snack table at your football watching party. This week’s recipe will certainly warm you up when the weather cools down.
Chili Mac ‘n’ Cheddar Soup
Total Time: 34 min
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 24 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3/4 pound(s) lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon hot Mexican chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1 can (14 1/2-ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 3/4-ounce) condensed cheddar-cheese soup
- 1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 cup(s) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Diced tomato, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for garnish
- Minced jalapeño chile, for garnish
- Heat oil in a 5-quart soup pot over medium-high heat; add onion and sauté 4 minutes, until translucent. Crumble beef into pot and cook, stirring for 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and broth, then stir in condensed soup until dissolved; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in pasta; continue to cook, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes or until pasta is fully cooked.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with diced tomato, tortilla chips, and minced chile.