Good gravy! What is that smell?! Oh, that’s just a huge pile of goat poo that spontaneously ignited and it stinking up an entire town in Vermont.
Noses in the town of Winsdor, Vermont were under assault after a 120-cubic yard pile of goat manure spontaneously ignited, according to Huff Post. A worker on her way to milk the goats noticed the blaze at around 3AM Wednesday morning. George Redick, owner of the 800-goat Oak Knoll Dairy, and other workers attempted to put out the fire with hoses, but the pile continued to smolder.
By the time Redick finally called the fire department at 6AM, firefighters were already in search of the source of the smell eking its way across town. Town manager Tom Marsh reported that he could smell the stench from his house 5 miles away, and that is smelled like “a damp kind of burning leaves or brush fire.”