On Air / Blogs

Exploding Rhubarb Chutney Destroys Apartment

View Comments
Latest Videos
8914039_vtRebekah And Julie Review The Movies: Rush 8912212_vtZazza And Julie And Shaun T 8912212_vtShock Collar Comedy 2 8914039_vtJohn Twerking 8914039_vtTony's Football Foodies
(Photo by Matthew Peyton/Getty Images)

(Photo by Matthew Peyton/Getty Images)

Margaret Goodwin was really looking forward to having some of her neighbor’s rhubarb chutney. The 66-year-old woman in Henley-on-Thames, UK, stashed the dish of her neighbor’s chutney in her fridge and left it to enjoy later.

The chutney fermented for five days in the fridge, building up enough methane to cause an explosion that not only blew the door off the fridge but also lifted the ceiling and leave cracks in the top of the walls on her living room and porch.

Luckily, Goodwin was asleep during the blast. She thought a gas main had exploded, but fire officials found the uncovered rhubarb chutney in the fridge.

“If I had been standing in the way, it would probably have killed me” Goodwin said, according to Huff Post. “The noise was absolutely deafening, even in my bedroom, and when I went to investigate, I wasn’t sure at first what had happened. We don’t have gas in the building but it was obvious something out of the ordinary had happened. I was quite shaken up.”

Other recipients of the rhubarb chutney were advised to remove the explosive treat from their fridges.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,835 other followers