Man Dies After Winning Bug-Eating Contest

View Comments
Leigh-Ann-Personality-Icon Leigh Ann Adam
Read More
The New 103.7 Lite FM Essentials
Lite FM Home
Lite FM EVENTS
Lite FM Shows
Lite FM Photos Lite FM Music News
Lite FM Playlist
Lite FM Rewards
Lite FM Listener Panel
1107609351 Man Dies After Winning Bug Eating Contest

Juergen Schacke/AFP/Getty Images

CNNis reporting that 32-year-old Edward Archbold collapsed and died Friday night after winning a snake in a bug-eating contest.

Archbold signed up to eat a variety of insects at Ben Siegel Reptile Store, where staff promised a female ivory ball python to the “Eat Bugs For Balls” contest winner.

After winning the contest by eating “dozens” of worms and roaches, Archbold fell ill and threw up before collapsing in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital, but was pronounced dead.

No other contestant became sick and Archbold’s cause of death is pending determining and investigation and autopsy.

“None of us in that competition thought this would happen,” wrote Robert Farthing on the store’s Facebook page, admiring Archbold for sporting a headband for the contest “like a true athlete.”

Ben Siegel Reptile Store’s attorney, Luke Lirot, said the bugs in the contest were “taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles” and offered condolences to Archbold’s family.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 3,597 other followers