Great Mystery Solved: The Ice Cream Headache
Scientists have explained why eating ice cream too quickly can cause a brain freeze.
Thirteen healthy volunteers participated in a joint study with National University of Ireland in Galway and Harvard Medical School where they deliberately induced the instant headaches so the effects could be studied.
It was found that the pain comes from a rapid increase in blood flow in the brain.
The hope of the researchers is that by bringing on the brain freeze in the the laboratory they will be able to find a better way to treat the discomfort.
More Stories From the New 103.7 Lite FM
- Which Real Housewife Are You?
- Would You Pass A U.S. Citizenship Test?
- Pharrell Releases ‘Social Book,’ Which Relies on Readers to Help Write It
- Watch Katy Perry Go Undercover in ‘Birthday’
- 10 Worst Jobs For Taking Kids To Work Day
- One Direction Accused of Plagiarism with ‘You and I’ Video
- Beyoncé Lands the Cover of TIME’s 100 Most Influential People Issue
- Avril Lavigne Responds to Claims That Her ‘Hello Kitty’ Video is Racist
- Leigh Ann: Cameron Diaz Hasn’t Worn Deodorant In 20 Years
- Leigh Ann: Julia Louis-Dreyfus Naked For GQ