Sara Bareilles and Bette Midler at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Midler, who said she started out as a fan of Nyro’s before actually meeting her, gave a rousing speech, mentioning that Nyro embodied the spirit of New York City in the ’70s, joking that in that era, NYC was even more of a dump than Cleveland. She admired Nyro’s uncompromising spirit, noting, “She embodied what everyone in our line of work could be, if they only had the guts,” welling up with tears.
Sara took to the stage to play Nyro’s “Stoney End,” despite rumors that Midler would perform the Nyro song.
Shortly before her performance, Sara tweeted:
Also, it’s ironic that last year, during Midler’s speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s induction ceremony (for Darlene Love), she quipped that she was doing it so that if anyone ever Googled “Bette Midler” and “Rock and Roll Hall of Fame” there would actually be a result. Her speeches in the last two years, though, would lead one to expect that she’ll keep getting invites: even if it is just as a presenter and not as an inductee.
Laura Nyro, who passed away 15 years ago, was a part of this year’s list of inductees that also included Donovan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, Guns N’ Roses and The Faces/Small Faces.
— Brian Ives, CBS Local
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Hayden Panettiere Just Checked In To A Facility For Postpartum Depression
- You Can Get Rid Of Stretch Marks With These 7 Sneaky Tips You’ve Never Heard Of!
- Rumor Is Facebook Is Adding A Shopping Tab! Shut Up And Take Our Money!
- 12 Reasons Texas Is The Most Terrifying And Spookiest State EVER!!
- Matt Damon Says He Never Liked Jennifer Garner, Hopes Ben Stays Away!
- Here Are The Most Horrifying Things To Ever Come Out Of The Human Body!
- Katy Perry Did Not Eat a Guinea Pig Sandwich
- A Kardashian Left A Nightclub With Justin Bieber, Now Everyone Thinks They Are Dating!
- New Study Shows If You Drink Your Coffee Black You Might Be A Psychopath!!
- Michelle Duggar Is Giving Sex Advice Now!! Would You Take Her Advice??