Sara Bareilles and Bette Midler at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Midler, who said she started out as a fan of Nyro’s before actually meeting her, gave a rousing speech, mentioning that Nyro embodied the spirit of New York City in the ’70s, joking that in that era, NYC was even more of a dump than Cleveland. She admired Nyro’s uncompromising spirit, noting, “She embodied what everyone in our line of work could be, if they only had the guts,” welling up with tears.
Sara took to the stage to play Nyro’s “Stoney End,” despite rumors that Midler would perform the Nyro song.
Shortly before her performance, Sara tweeted:
Also, it’s ironic that last year, during Midler’s speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s induction ceremony (for Darlene Love), she quipped that she was doing it so that if anyone ever Googled “Bette Midler” and “Rock and Roll Hall of Fame” there would actually be a result. Her speeches in the last two years, though, would lead one to expect that she’ll keep getting invites: even if it is just as a presenter and not as an inductee.
Laura Nyro, who passed away 15 years ago, was a part of this year’s list of inductees that also included Donovan, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, Guns N’ Roses and The Faces/Small Faces.
– Brian Ives, CBS Local
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- 5,700 Flights Cancelled, Delays at DFW and Love Due to NE Winter Storm
- Emma Watson Cast As Belle In Beauty & The Beast Live Action Film
- Fashion At The 2015 SAG Awards
- Michael Moore Responds to ‘Haters,’ Points Out His Support for Troops
- Photo Gallery: Miss Universe 2015
- Watch Nick Jonas Perform ‘Jealous,’ Show Off His Evening Wear at Miss Universe 2015
- Dogs Continue To Go Missing In Wise County
- Men Caught on video cat-calling and wolf whistling at their own Disguised MOTHERS:
- Almost Unrecognizable – Zach Galifianakis Shows Off Major Weight Loss
- ‘I’m ethnic!’ Rashida Jones’ Shocked Response After Being Told She’s ‘very tan’ On SAG Awards Red Carpet