Lady Gaga Starts Twitter Weight Debate
Lady Gaga has been outspoken in her crusade against bullying, starting the Born This Way Foundation, whose mission statement is “to foster a more accepting society, where differences are embraced and individuality is celebrated” and whose stated end goal is to create “a braver, kinder world.”
But Gaga seems to have stepped into controversy this week when she Tweeted about her new fitness routine while gearing up for her European Born This Way tour.
— Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) April 10, 2012
Many fans did not react well to the #PopSingersDontEat hash tag.
@ladygaga not the best message to promote…
— ♔ Sophie ♔ (@MsEditrice) April 11, 2012
@ladygaga I love you with my heart, but what the hell!? “Pop singers don’t eat”… I want to sing. I have an ED. Not very encouraging, Gaga.
— Darcy Queen (@TheDarcyQueen) April 11, 2012
— dontmesswithLOVATICS (@Lovatic_swagg) April 13, 2012
It was wrong for Lady Gaga to tweet #popsingersdonteat. Respect = gone.
— McCann’s whore ϟ (@DaKidrauhlNavy) April 13, 2012
Many fans have voiced concern back to Gaga via Twitter that she is promoting eating disorders and that the comment is not congruous with her message of acceptance. Gaga admitted to Vanity Fair in a 2010 interview that she battled bulimia early in her career.
The National Eating Disorders Association commented as well, Tweeting out a link and asking, “What’s up with Lady Gaga’s #PopSingersDontEat Tweet?”
Gaga has not commented further.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- The Newest Instagram Trend is “Manties”
- The Worst Reality Shows Of ALL TIME (Well, So Far)
- The Worst Company Logos Of All Time
- These Celebrities Were Busted Doing Naughty Things In Public
- Luxury Garage Sale Is Coming To Dallas! Prada For 90% Off
- U2 Tour Manager Dennis Sheehan Found Dead in Los Angeles Hotel Room
- Did Bruce Jenner Already Have Gender Reassignment Surgery?
- MKTO Chats With Kannon About Texas, Their Friends The Wahlbergs, And New Music
- Cher Heads Up Marc Jacobs’ Fall 2015 Campaign: See Her Look
- Could A Duggar Spinoff Be In The Works?