Lady Gaga has been outspoken in her crusade against bullying, starting the Born This Way Foundation, whose mission statement is “to foster a more accepting society, where differences are embraced and individuality is celebrated” and whose stated end goal is to create “a braver, kinder world.”
But Gaga seems to have stepped into controversy this week when she Tweeted about her new fitness routine while gearing up for her European Born This Way tour.
— Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) April 10, 2012
Many fans did not react well to the #PopSingersDontEat hash tag.
@ladygaga not the best message to promote…
— ♔ Sophie ♔ (@MsEditrice) April 11, 2012
@ladygaga I love you with my heart, but what the hell!? “Pop singers don’t eat”… I want to sing. I have an ED. Not very encouraging, Gaga.
— Darcy Queen (@TheDarcyQueen) April 11, 2012
— dontmesswithLOVATICS (@Lovatic_swagg) April 13, 2012
It was wrong for Lady Gaga to tweet #popsingersdonteat. Respect = gone.
— McCann’s whore ϟ (@DaKidrauhlNavy) April 13, 2012
Many fans have voiced concern back to Gaga via Twitter that she is promoting eating disorders and that the comment is not congruous with her message of acceptance. Gaga admitted to Vanity Fair in a 2010 interview that she battled bulimia early in her career.
The National Eating Disorders Association commented as well, Tweeting out a link and asking, “What’s up with Lady Gaga’s #PopSingersDontEat Tweet?”
Gaga has not commented further.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Demi Lovato Addresses Rehab Stint At Chicago Concert: ‘I’ve Gotten Through It And You Can Do It Too’
- Jack Johnson On His New Album: ‘It’s The Most Un-Punk Rock Thing You’ve Ever Heard’
- On The Beach. For Work.
- Julie’s Jabber: Calling B.S. on the “Fabulous Mom” Trend
- She Mail – Finding Out Family News On Facebook
- Antisocial App Helps You Avoid Other People
- TV Shows We Wish Would Come Back
- Report: Justin Bieber Involved In Hollywood Hit-And-Run, Paparazzo Injured
- Self-Defense In The Form Of Hairy-Leg Stockings
- Radio Feedback:One Direction On The Surrealism Of Hearing ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ On The Radio