Colbie Caillat was amongst those waiting out tsunami warnings on Wednesday (April 11) after a massive earthquake hit off the western coast of Indonesia. The singer was vacationing on an island off of Bali with her boyfriend, singer/songwriter Justin Young, when they were made aware of the alerts.
“I got scared when they sent around the tsunami watch warning,” says Colbie. “Our island is only five miles wide with only flat land. We would have [had] to take a boat to the big island, which was far away.”
According to her publicist, the next boat scheduled to take them off the island was 24 hours after the tsunami warnings were issued.
CBS News reports that an 8.6 magnitude earthquake hit 269 miles from Aceh province, sending those in surrounding coastal areas to seek higher ground as tsunami warnings were issued following the tremor and the aftershocks that followed. The warnings were officially canceled by yesterday afternoon.
According to the U.S. NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration), no other tsunami warnings have been issued for that area since yesterday or in the areas around today’s earthquakes in Mexico and off the Oregon coast.
Colbie is scheduled to perform in Jakarta, Indonesia on April 13.
— Heather Stas, CBS Local
More Stories From the New 103.7 Lite FM
- 15 Truths About Being A Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader You Would Never Expect!
- Mama June & Honey Bear Just Scored Another Reality Show!
- This Woman Proves How Much It Actually Takes To Break A Condom! WOW!
- 103.7 KVIL Will Be Out At NorthPark Center This Black Friday
- This Guy Is Already Camping Out For Black Friday And You Have To See His Set Up!
- Justin Bieber Just Cancelled His Thanksgiving Day Parade Appearance For A Weird Reason!
- Celebrate The Season With #GivingTuesday
- Katy Perry’s New Christmas Song Will Get Stuck In Your Head In Seconds!
- Who’s Zayn Malik’s New Supermodel Girlfriend?
- Kaley Cuoco From The Big Bang Theory Show’s Us How To Cover That Tattoo You Got For Your Ex