Real Springfield Behind Simpsons’ Hometown Revealed
Springfield is one of the most popular city names in America, but it’s most famous as the hometown of the Simpsons. The Simpons’ creator Matt Groening has long been coy as to which Springfield is the inspiration for the town where Bart, Homer, Marge, and Lisa call home… that is until now.
In a recent interview with Smithsonian magazine, Matt Groening shares the inspiration behind the beloved characters and how he developed the show that would become not only the longest running animated program, but also the longest running American sitcom. The Simpsons celebrate their 25th anniversary this year.
The one thing that everyone wants to know is, where is Springfield?
“Springfield was named after Springfield, Oregon,” Groening says. “The only reason is that when I was a kid, the TV show ‘Father Knows Best’ took place in the town of Springfield, and I was thrilled because I imagined that it was the town next to Portland, my hometown. When I grew up, I realized it was just a fictitious name. I also figured out that Springfield was one of the most common names for a city in the U.S. In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, ‘This will be cool; everyone will think it’s their Springfield.’ And they do.”
Gizmodo.com took a Google Maps tour of Springfield, Oregon and compared it to the Springfield we’ve come to know through the cartoon.
- Fun Super Bowl Sunday Facts
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Hospitalized After Being Found Unresponsive in Bathtub
- Video: The Xerox Building Implosion in Dallas!
- Maybe Dez Should Stick To Football
- #WeekendRewind: Binge Watching, Animal Delivery & The Pizza That Lead To A SWAT Team
- Women Take On Abominable Football Ads
- VIDEO: Ed Sheer”chin” Sings…And It’s Wonderfully Weird.
- Justin Timberlake Confirms Pregnancy
- Central Expressway Will Be Closed Super Bowl Sunday Morning
- Vine Of The Day: A Lil’ Birdie Told Me- 01.31.15