Unfortunately for the Material Girl, she didn’t break a good record. Forbes reports that Madonna’s new album, MDNA, has achieved the biggest second week drop of all time, with expectations that it will plummet 88 percent in sales from the first week when official numbers are released on Wednesday.
In terms of hard numbers, that means Madonna expected to go from her No. 1 position with 359,000 albums sold in the first week to selling around 46,000 in the second week. Forbes attributes Madonna’s first week success to the bundling of her CD with concert tickets. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that 185,000 of Madonna’s first week sales came from that deal. If those packages had not been counted as CD sales, Lionel Richie would have beat Madonna out for the No. 1 slot last week.
Lady Gaga faced a similar second week drop-off for her album Born This Way in 2011, which was priced for $1.99 on Amazon during the first week of sales. In her second week, sales dipped 84 percent, from 1.1 million copies to 174,000.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
More Stories You’ll K-LUV
- Life Can’t Be Easy When Your Dad Is “The Sexiest Man Alive”
- Adele’s “25” Album Is Smashing Records, But What Does That Mean?
- 3 ingredient Nutella Brownies
- Here Are The 10 Shows You Need To Binge Watch Over Thanksgiving!
- Golden Girls “Granny Panties” Are A Real Thing!
- These 4 Habits Are Making You Look WAY Older Than You Are!
- Ellie Goulding Remixes “Love Me Like You Do” In Every Genre Of Music You Can Imagine!
- The 25 Amazing Things You Have To Make With Your Thanksgiving Leftovers!
- These Tweets Will Make Every Nurse Alive Laugh Out Loud!
- Our Very Own Leigh Ann Was Featured In DFW Child Magazine!