Unfortunately for the Material Girl, she didn’t break a good record. Forbes reports that Madonna’s new album, MDNA, has achieved the biggest second week drop of all time, with expectations that it will plummet 88 percent in sales from the first week when official numbers are released on Wednesday.
In terms of hard numbers, that means Madonna expected to go from her No. 1 position with 359,000 albums sold in the first week to selling around 46,000 in the second week. Forbes attributes Madonna’s first week success to the bundling of her CD with concert tickets. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that 185,000 of Madonna’s first week sales came from that deal. If those packages had not been counted as CD sales, Lionel Richie would have beat Madonna out for the No. 1 slot last week.
Lady Gaga faced a similar second week drop-off for her album Born This Way in 2011, which was priced for $1.99 on Amazon during the first week of sales. In her second week, sales dipped 84 percent, from 1.1 million copies to 174,000.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
More Stories You’ll K-LUV
- May The Fourth Be With You On ‘Star Wars’ Day, Here’s A List Of Ways To Celebrate In DFW
- Possible Manson Family Victim Jane Doe No. 59 Has Been Identified After 46 Years
- Jimmy Kimmel Will Join Kelly Ripa As Live! Host
- Prince was Set to Meet with an Addiction Specialist the Day He Died
- Dog Missing Ten Years Returned to Owner (PHOTO)
- Police Investigate Shooting At Deep Ellum Recording Studio
- Girl Ruins Fresh Spray Tan With Her Tears – Hilarious Pic!
- Watch Luke Skywalker Sing Celine Dion’s ‘All By Myself’
- VIDEO: Little Boy Wakes Up From Anesthesia Talking Like A Gangster
- John McCain’s Son Tells Twitter Racists To “Eat It” After Comments On Old Navy’s Interracial Ad