Headed by Sting and his wife Trudie Styler, the biennial Rainforest Foundation Benefit Concert was held at Carnegie Hall last night with a cast of stars that would make any awards show green with envy.
The benefit, held every two years, raises awareness and money to preserve and protect the world’s rainforests, as well as the indigenous people who inhabit them.
This years theme was “Songs of the Silverscreen,” so naturally the night began with a performance of “If I Only Had a Brain” from the Wizard of Oz, with Sting playing the role of the Tin Man, Meryl Streep as Dorothy, plus Elton John and James Taylor taking the parts of the Cowardly Lion and the Scarecrow.
Additional musical guests included Jennifer Hudson, Bruno Mars, Vince Gill, Rosanne Cash and opera star Bryn Terfel. Actor Channing Tatum, along with his actress/dancer wife Jenna Dewan-Tatum, also made their way to the stage to lend their skills for the dance numbers from the night.
Here’s the setlist from the evening, courtesy of ABC News:
- Elton, Sting, James Taylor, Meryl Streep: “If I Only Had a Brain”
- James Taylor: “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”
- Vince Gill: “I Can’t Stop Loving You”
- Vince Gill & Rita Wilson: “All I Have to Do Is Dream”
- Bryn Terfel: “The Impossible Dream”
- Elton John: “Moon River”
- Rosanne Cash: “Ode to Billie Joe”
- Bruno Mars & Elton John: “Unchained Melody”
- Meryl Streep & Sting: “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off”
- James Taylor: “Ol Man River”
- Sting: “Singing in the Rain”
- Jennifer Hudson: “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going”
- Meryl Streep: “When You Wish Upon a Star”
- Bryn Terfel: “Roxanne”
- Sting: “Suicide Is Painless (Theme from M*A*S*H)
- Rosanne Cash: “Everybody’s Talkin'”
- James Taylor: “Shall We Dance”
- Elton John: “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend”
- Vince Gill: “Pretty Woman”
- Jennifer Hudson: “The Weight”
- Sting: “Be Bop a Lula”
- Elton John: “Rock Around the Clock”
- Bruno Mars: “Jailhouse Rock”
- Finale: “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”
Watch this fan video of the finale!
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- This Guy Was Robbed At Gun Point On A Tinder Date!
- This Kids Inappropriate Christmas Drawing Is The Best Things You Will See Today!
- Sybil Interviews Jennifer Chinnis From CultureMap
- RHOBH: Yolanda And David Foster Are Getting Divorced!
- Tons Of People Paid $5 For Nothing On Black Friday!
- New Anti-Ageing Drug Could Be Around The Corner
- Dallas Could Be Making A Play To Bring The Rangers Downtown!
- People Are Actually Naming Their Kids After Instagram Filters!
- Have You Seen The New Alex From Target?
- Need Help With Your Elf? Here Are 33 Amazing Ideas For You!