TriStar Pictures released the full trailer for Sparkle today (April 2), which co-stars the late Whitney Houston in her final movie role that was to mark her return to the silver screen.
Co-starring former American Idol Jordin Sparks the trailer gives a first look at the movie about sisters following in the musical footsteps of their mother, played by Houston, to create the next big all-girl group of the ’60s.
While Cee-Lo Green, Mike Epps, Derek Luke and Jordin Sparks fill out the cast, Houston’s image looms large in the trailer. Reprising the role of Emma, a struggling mother of three daughters, she offers advice from a woman who has seen it all before.
“Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you,” she said. “It takes a lot of faith to do this, Sparkle.”
Given Houston’s untimely death and reported struggles with substance abuse, her words as Emma give the trailer an extra weight. At 48, Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub in February, six months before the film’s August release date. Her death has since been attributed to drugs, including cocaine.
Sparkle is due out on Aug. 17th. See full trailer below. –Erik Parker, CBS Local w/Britt Bickel, The Wave/Los Angeles
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Insurance Company Asked This Mom For Pictures Of The Accident And She Sent Selfies!
- Dog Missing for 10 Years To Be Reunited With Owner
- WHAT?! McDonald’s To Change McNugget Formula
- ‘American Idol’/’So You Think You Can Dance’ Parent Company BANKRUPT!
- RHOBH Star Kim Richards Headed To Jail For Shoplifting
- This Edible Pizza Box Is What Your Dreams Are Made Of!
- Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ Jacket up for Auction
- Shelter Dogs Pay Tribute To Prince While Trying To Get Adopted
- VIDEO: Woman Beats Crap Out Of Guy Who Groped Her On Elevator
- South Korea Unveils Anti-Zika Uniform For Rio Olympics