TriStar Pictures released the full trailer for Sparkle today (April 2), which co-stars the late Whitney Houston in her final movie role that was to mark her return to the silver screen.
Co-starring former American Idol Jordin Sparks the trailer gives a first look at the movie about sisters following in the musical footsteps of their mother, played by Houston, to create the next big all-girl group of the ’60s.
While Cee-Lo Green, Mike Epps, Derek Luke and Jordin Sparks fill out the cast, Houston’s image looms large in the trailer. Reprising the role of Emma, a struggling mother of three daughters, she offers advice from a woman who has seen it all before.
“Was my life not enough of a cautionary tale for you,” she said. “It takes a lot of faith to do this, Sparkle.”
Given Houston’s untimely death and reported struggles with substance abuse, her words as Emma give the trailer an extra weight. At 48, Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub in February, six months before the film’s August release date. Her death has since been attributed to drugs, including cocaine.
Sparkle is due out on Aug. 17th. See full trailer below. –Erik Parker, CBS Local w/Britt Bickel, The Wave/Los Angeles
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Man Reunites With Officer He Credits For Saving His Life
- Police Looking For Men Who Drove Van Into Fort Worth ISD Building And Stole ATM
- Former Lottery Winner Blows $3 Million On Meth
- Kelly Clarkson Sets The World Ablaze With “Slaves” Tweet
- Adele Invites Drag Queen Onstage in Seattle
- Kim Kardashian Shares Adorable Video Of Son, Saint West
- Lenny Kravitz Lets Love Rule at Democratic National Convention
- Snooki Releases New Music Video And It’s AMAZINGly Bad
- Kristen Stewart Confirms Sexuality, Says She Is “Much Happier” Dating Women
- Woman Nails Daily Struggles Of Motherhood In Meghan Trainor Parody Video