Marshall Smith could barely contain the emotions as he prepared to have surgery. “I’m excited because I’m going to get a second chance to live and be able to be a father for my son.” That second chance is all coming because of Smith’s youngest son’s kindergarten teacher Marie Bell.
Smith’s kidneys stopped working two years ago. He is on dialysis four hours a day three days a week. A father to eight, the 50 year-old didn’t really have much hope of a transplant, until his youngest, Sean got Bell as a teacher.
“I didn’t think that god made people like her any more,” Smith told WFAA.
Tuesday afternoon at Baylor University Medical Center in Dall, Bell showed there are still people like her, as she gave up a kidney to her student’s father.
In February, Sean was late to class because the family held him out because Marshall had been alerted to a potential kidney donor. Thinking the transplant was coming, Sean was held out, only to find out the kidney was diseased and the procedure would have to wait.
A note Sean mother’s sent to school to explain the tardiness got bell asking questions. “I just boldly asked Sean’s mom in an e-mail, ‘What can we do?’ She told me I could check with the donor program. One day after school I just called,” Bell said.
Bell turned out to be a match in every category. There was no turning back for Bell.
“How could I look at that little boy, in his eyes every day, greet him as his caregiver, teacher, as his educator, and as a mother and know that I didn’t try?” she asked.
Family members said Bell and Smith are resting comfortably following a successful transplant.
More From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Here Are The 10 Shows You Need To Binge Watch Over Thanksgiving!
- Golden Girls “Granny Panties” Are A Real Thing!
- These 4 Habits Are Making You Look WAY Older Than You Are!
- Ellie Goulding Remixes “Love Me Like You Do” In Every Genre Of Music You Can Imagine!
- The 25 Amazing Things You Have To Make With Your Thanksgiving Leftovers!
- These Tweets Will Make Every Nurse Alive Laugh Out Loud!
- Our Very Own Leigh Ann Was Featured In DFW Child Magazine!
- Bryan Adams on ‘Get Up!,’ Country Music and Amy Winehouse
- Sybil Interview Anna Kurian From North Texas Food Bank
- Find Out Which Bars Will Be Open Thanksgiving