Lewisville Teacher Donates Kidney To Student’s Father
Marshall Smith could barely contain the emotions as he prepared to have surgery. “I’m excited because I’m going to get a second chance to live and be able to be a father for my son.” That second chance is all coming because of Smith’s youngest son’s kindergarten teacher Marie Bell.
Smith’s kidneys stopped working two years ago. He is on dialysis four hours a day three days a week. A father to eight, the 50 year-old didn’t really have much hope of a transplant, until his youngest, Sean got Bell as a teacher.
“I didn’t think that god made people like her any more,” Smith told WFAA.
Tuesday afternoon at Baylor University Medical Center in Dall, Bell showed there are still people like her, as she gave up a kidney to her student’s father.
In February, Sean was late to class because the family held him out because Marshall had been alerted to a potential kidney donor. Thinking the transplant was coming, Sean was held out, only to find out the kidney was diseased and the procedure would have to wait.
A note Sean mother’s sent to school to explain the tardiness got bell asking questions. “I just boldly asked Sean’s mom in an e-mail, ‘What can we do?’ She told me I could check with the donor program. One day after school I just called,” Bell said.
Bell turned out to be a match in every category. There was no turning back for Bell.
“How could I look at that little boy, in his eyes every day, greet him as his caregiver, teacher, as his educator, and as a mother and know that I didn’t try?” she asked.
Family members said Bell and Smith are resting comfortably following a successful transplant.
More From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Listen to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Song, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
- H&M Debuts Wedding Dress For Less Than $100
- Interview: Hayley Williams on the Paramore Cruise, the Fall Out Boy Tour & Why She’ll (Probably) Never Go Solo
- Will U2 Fans Have To Wait Until 2015 to Hear the Band’s New Album?
- Hollywood Hot Talk: Travolta’s Oscar Flub
- Bruce Springsteen’s ‘High Hopes’ Documentary Is Coming to HBO
- Man Claims He Shot Bigfoot
- Zazza & Julie’s Go-To Feel-Good Movies