Reports are coming out that might make you think twice when you order a fruity cool summer drink at Starbucks. ThisDishIsVegetarian.com is reporting that the strawberry mix used by the coffee giant contains dried bug body extract.
A barista alerted the website that the company’s new strawberry flavoring contains “cochineal extract”, which is essentially crushed up dried bugs used to dye things; mostly clothes.
“My guess would be that the recipe changed about three or four weeks ago, when our strawberry sauce got new packaging,” the barista told the website. “I was hoping you guys could help get the word out there so that no vegans end up drinking this formerly vegan frappucino by mistake!”
A Starbucks spokesperson told the website on March 16, “While the strawberry base isn’t a vegan product, it helps us move away from artificial dyes.”
More From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- John Has Snow Day Fun Attempting To Sled Down Parking Garage
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: Music Community Mourns
- Madonna Shows Support for Russian LGBT Community With New Campaign
- A 7 Year Old’s Far Out Christmas List
- Children’s Parade Has Been Canceled
- Lionel Richie Says Luke Bryan Is ‘First on the List’ For Possible Country Release
- Lorde & More Added to GRAMMY Nominations Concert 2013
- Woman Live Tweets Car Crash That Kills Her Husband
- CBS 11′s Larry Mowry Talks Freezing Temps And Icy Roads
- Disturbing Christmas Traditions