Reports are coming out that might make you think twice when you order a fruity cool summer drink at Starbucks. ThisDishIsVegetarian.com is reporting that the strawberry mix used by the coffee giant contains dried bug body extract.
A barista alerted the website that the company’s new strawberry flavoring contains “cochineal extract”, which is essentially crushed up dried bugs used to dye things; mostly clothes.
“My guess would be that the recipe changed about three or four weeks ago, when our strawberry sauce got new packaging,” the barista told the website. “I was hoping you guys could help get the word out there so that no vegans end up drinking this formerly vegan frappucino by mistake!”
A Starbucks spokesperson told the website on March 16, “While the strawberry base isn’t a vegan product, it helps us move away from artificial dyes.”
More From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Enter For Your Chance To Win Sparkle At The Anatole
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- John Mayer Talks New Single ‘Who You Love’ and ‘That Photo’ with Katy Perry
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- WATCH: Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer
- Alicia Keys Unlocks Her Music Vault On New Interactive Fan Site
- Christmas Cats TV Is Streaming Live On the Internet
- Peter Gabriel Remembers Nelson Mandela: ‘It Leaves an Enormous Hole’