Lady Gaga Launches Born This Way Foundation At Harvard University
Before Gaga took the stand for a mock trial to testify in front of a panel of experts and to explain what she hopes to accomplish, Oprah interviewed her onstage.
During her introduction, Oprah described Lady Gaga as “one of the most influential forces of our time today” before Gaga discussed the mission behind the non-profit.
“The three pillars are SSO. If you could remember these things today it would make me very, very happy,” she told the audience. “It’s safety, skills and opportunity.”
Gaga said she wants everyone to feel safe in their community and to develop the skills that are needed to be a loving, accepting and tolerant person. Additionally, she hopes that these sentiments are injected into all the people around them.
“I believe once you feel safe in your environment and you acquire the skills to be a loving and accepting person, the opportunities for you are endless to become a great functioning human in society,” she said. “The culture of love is not going to change overnight but youth are the answer to creating a braver, kinder world.”
BTWF will address issues like self-confidence, well-being, anti-bullying, mentoring and career development through research, education and advocacy.
After the suicide of bullied New York teen Jamey Rodemeyer, Gaga has been on a mission to make bullying illegal. As a result, the non-profit will create an environment that allows youth to safely express their individuality and one that provides them with the skills needed to encourage self-expression and promote civic engagement.
BTWF hopes to create an environment where “each individual is accepted and loved as the person they were born to be.”
- See Precious Pic Of Taylor Swift Meeting New Godson
- VIDEO: German Shepherd Loses It As She Welcomes Home Military Dad
- John Stamos Jokes About His DUI Arrest During A Taping Of Fuller House
- The DEA Wants Nick Gordon To Face Which Charges In The Death Of Bobbi Kristina?
- Prince Charles Gave Prince George The Coolest Birthday Present
- VIDEO: This May Be The Most Awkward Television Interview Ever
- Kim Kardashian Shares Picture Of Her Growing Baby Bump
- An American Hunter Killed A Beloved Lion And Is Getting Major Backlash
- Red Wine And Grape Popsicles By Patricia Bozman
- You Have To See What The Lawrence Brothers From Brotherly Love Look Like Now