If you’re single and looking, then it’s good to assume that you have qualities that you look for in a potential partner. You probably also have a list of things that would send you running for the hills in a relationship. Popular dating website Match.com recently surveyed 5,000 single adult men and women to see what they considered the biggest deal-breakers in relationships.
The biggest deal breaker is not taking care of your appearance. 63% of men and 71% of women said they would bail on a relationship if their partner showed up unkempt and unclean for a date. It’s important to look like you put effort into your appearance for your date.
The second biggest deal breaker was laziness. The survey says 60% of men and 72% of women will not tolerate laziness in their relationships. This doesn’t just refer to sitting around on the couch all day like a lump, but rather laziness in the relationship. If you are not taking initiative to plan dates or take days to return a phone call, then chances are there’s a deal breaker in the making.
Conversely, being too needy is another deal breaker. 57% of men and 69% of women say that needy and clingy partners send them running out the door. It’s important to have a life of your own outside of your relationship. Go out with your own friends, spend time just to yourself, participate in events that don’t require you to be tied to the hip of your significant other.
Another deal breaker for most people was not having a sense of humor. Everyone wants to have someone they can laugh with, that includes 50% of the men and 58% of the women surveyed. Super serious types are a sort of killjoy if you can’t laugh with them at a joke. Having someone to laugh with lightens the load of life.
The final deal breaker was distance. 51% of men and 47% of women said they wouldn’t date someone who lived over 3 hours away. While some people can manage to make long distance relationships work, you’re chances are better if you find someone who lives closer to you.
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- John Mayer Talks New Single ‘Who You Love’ and ‘That Photo’ with Katy Perry
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- WATCH: Amazing Spider-Man 2 Trailer
- Alicia Keys Unlocks Her Music Vault On New Interactive Fan Site
- Christmas Cats TV Is Streaming Live On the Internet
- Peter Gabriel Remembers Nelson Mandela: ‘It Leaves an Enormous Hole’
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: Music Community Mourns