Mark Cuban Saves The Greenville Ave St Patty’s Parade
The Greenville Avenue St Patty’s Day Parade is back on, and it’s all thanks to Mark Cuban. He felt that he couldn’t “let it die,” so he whipped out his checkbook and donated the “green” to ensure there will be green-aplenty on Greenville Avenue this March.
A tradition that started in 1979, the Greenville Avenue St Patrick’s Parade has grown over the years. With its growth, the City of Dallas began requiring more security and baracades. The increasing requirements pushed the price tag from under $50,000 to almost six figures, according to the Dallas Observer. This year, the parade fund was short $40,000 that was due by this Friday.
A grassroots fundraising effort never quite got off the ground, and only managed to raise $3,600 between two campaign websites. With the deadline looming, Greenville Avenue Area Business Association president Jorge Levy shot an email to Mark Cuban last week. Seven minutes later, Cuban’s reply was simply, “Can’t let it die.”
[photogallerylink id=31214 align=right]
Not only did Mark Cuban donate the full amount of $40,000 to save the parade, he also donated $25,000 to the DISD scholarship that is usually supported by parade revenue. Cuban also expressed interest in supporting the parade in the future.
This year’s parade falls on St Patrick’s Day itself, Saturday March 17th. It kicks off at 11:00AM at Park Lane, and it will head south on Greenville Avenue to SMU Boulevard. There will be no parking along the neighborhood streets surrounding Greenville Avenue, so if you plan on heading to the parade, your best bets will be taking a cab or DART rail Red Line to Park Lane or Lovers Lane. Get there early to make sure you have a good spot!
- Foodie Blog: Brioche Doughnuts With Brown Butter Pastry Cream And Maple & Vanilla Bean Glaze
- Can You Spot a Cheater Before He Cheats? Yes! Here’s How…
- Iggy Azalea Is Hiring Dancers For Her Upcoming Tour
- Kelly Clarkson Heading for Divorce? Brandon Blackstock Fighting Against Second Child?
- Shawn Mendes Announces Debut Album, ‘Handwritten’
- Phillip Phillips Files Suit Against ‘American Idol’ Producers Who ‘Manipulated’ Him
- Sneak Peak – Tony Romo makes an appearance in a Pizza Hut Super Bowl commercial!
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian West Pokes Fun At Herself
- Nick Jonas Signs On To Ryan Murphy’s New Project
- Phillip Phillips Wants to Break Up With American Idol Producers