I bet you didn’t say Grandma.
According to Delish people the ages 65 and older are doing most of America’s drinking.
College students might drink the most volume, but the Center For Disease Control says that people over 65 are binge drinking most often. The CDC study was a randomized phone survey throughout the country.
The study found that binge drinking among 18-34 year-olds was most common, people over the age of 65 are binge drinking more frequently.
The total population of people who binge drink do it about four times a month, where as people over the age of 65 binge drink five and a half times a month.
Seniors binge drink most often, but 28.2 percent of young adults, 18-24, binge drink. This makes the young adult group the highest in the amount of drinkers. They also consumed the most alcohol per binge drinking experience at an average of 9.3 drinks.
The study also showed that 1 in 6 Americans binge drink, which is drinking five or more alcoholic beverages for men and four for women. That’s up 15 percent from last year. This is the first time that the number of binge drinkers have risen in this country for 15 years. While the rise is alarming, it may be attributed to the fact that this is the first time the CDC has used cell phones in the survey, which increases the amount of young adults included in the study.
According to the study binge drinking leads to, “more than half of the 80,000 deaths and three-quarters of the $223.5 billion in economic costs caused by excessive drinking.” The study also states that there are 54 different injuries and diseases related with the over consumption of alcohol.
The CDC recommends that alcohol prices be raised, limiting when it is sold, and restricting the amount of liquor licenses in specific areas to try to combat the rise in binge drinking.
- Kourtney Kardashian Reveals What She’d Want As Her Last Meal, It’s Very Surprising
- PETA Is Ticked At Justin Bieber For Posing With A Chained Tiger
- Kerry Washington Is Pregnant! Scandal Star Expecting Second Child
- Idaho Couple Welcomes First Baby Girl In Family In 101 Years
- Verne Troyer From Austin Powers Disguises Himself Smoking In A Baby Stroller
- VIDEO: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Loses Steering Wheel & Drives With One Hand
- 10 Places To Take Mom For A Mother’s Day Brunch In DFW
- Does a Key Scene from Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ Borrow Too Much?
- Bodies Of Celebrity Climbers Found 16 Years After Deadly Avalanche In The Himalayas
- U2’s The Edge is First Rock Artist to Play Sistine Chapel