It’s Friday the 13th! It’s the most superstitious day on the calendar. Many consider the day fraught with bad luck and misfortune. It honor of the day, here are 13 interesting facts about the number 13 and Friday the 13th!
1. Did you know many buildings don’t have a 13th floor? Some aircraft do not have a 13th row, and some cities do not have a 13th Street or 13th Avenue.
2. The fear of Friday is called skeviphobia, the fear of the number 13 is triskaidekaphobia, and the fear of Friday the 13th is paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia. Famous sufferers of this phobia include Presidents Franklin D. Roosevelt and Herbert Hoover as well as Napoleon.
3. The longest period that can occur without a Friday The 13th is 14 months, either from July through September of the following normal year, or from August through October of the following leap year!
We’ll see Friday the 13th again in April and July this year.
4. Mark your calendars for Friday, April 13, 2029! The asteroid 99942 will make its closest encounter with the Earth which is sure to cause fear, panic, and some weird stuff!
5. A study done by the British Medical Journal in 1993 says there is a significant increase in traffic-related accidents on Friday 13th. [Daily Mail]
6. Superstitions abound on Friday the 13th. Among the most well-known superstitions to cause you bad luck are walking under a ladder, stepping on cracks, breaking a mirror, opening an umbrella indoors, and a black cat crossing your path.
7. It is considered unlucky to have 13 guests at a party. President Franklin D. Roosevelt would never host a dinner party with only 13 guests. The French would hire a “quatorzième,” or 14th person, to round out the party.
8. There are 13 stripes on the American flag for each of the 13 original colonies.
9. Apollo 13 launched on April 13th, 1970 at 13:13 CST. It was the 13th mission was to be launched from launch pad #39 (13 x 3). An explosion occurred in the fuel cell of the service module causing the mission to be aborted.
10. Never start a trip on a Friday as “misfortune is bound to follow.”
11. Former Miami Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino wore the number 13 throughout his career with the team. In his only trip to the Super Bowl in 1985, the San Francisco 49ers defeated the Dolphins, 38-26. Marino is considered to be the best quarterback to have never won a Super Bowl.
12. Famous people born on Friday the 13th include Butch Cassidy (13 April 1866), Margaret Thatcher (13 October 1923), Fidel Castro (13 August 1926), and Steve Buscemi (13 December 1957).
The Margaret Thatcher biopic “Iron Lady” is out today. Check it out in the Lite Review Room!
13. Of the twelve installments in the classic horror movie franchise, Friday the 13th, five were released on Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th: Part III was released twice, both on Friday the 13th.
We couldn’t end a list on Friday the 13th on the number 13!
- 23 Olympic Athletes Just Tested Positive For Blood Doping! Will They Compete? Get The Cheating Details!
- Marc Scibilia Live With Kannon and Sybil
- Levi Johnston Ordered To Pay Back Child Support To Bristol Palin
- P!NK’s Cover Of Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” Is Amazing!
- Ouch!!! Watch A Sumo Wrestler Test Out Human Fly Paper!!!
- A New Study Says Cellphone Radiation Causes Cancer In Rats
- Tornado Hits A Texas Prison
- Spelling Bee Co-Champ Throws Up Dez Bryant’s X
- VIDEO: Best Graduation Speech Of ALL Time! Steven Spielberg To Harvard Grads: Be A Real-Life Movie Hero
- The New Fifth Harmony Album ‘7/27’ has Arrived