It’s feeling more like the desert than Texas. With an Excessive Heat Warning and temps projected to be 105 and higher all week, it’s important to take precautions for your health and safety.
Here’s what you can do to keep cool!
Today’s high will be 107, and that is nothing to joke about. Excessive heat can do real harm if you don’t take good care of yourself. Here are some tips to keep you cool and safe:
1. Drink lots of water. It’s important to keep hydrated in this heat. Even if you’re not doing any big activities outside, you will still lose moisture rapidly by sweating.
2. Take frequent breaks. If you have to be outside for work or activity, get in the shade or air-conditioned space for a few minutes. It will be 107 in the shade and hotter in direct sunlight.
3. Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothing. This isn’t a fashion tip. Light-colored clothing will reflect the heat away from your body. Thin, loose-fitting fabric will help your body breathe.
4. Take care of your children and pets. Make sure your kids are taking breaks, have plenty to drink, and are keeping cool. Pets need to keep cool as well. Have the family run through a sprinkler to keep cool.
5. Don’t leave kids or pets in the car. Not even for a second.
The best bet is to use caution to keep cool during this heatwave.