4) George Washington’s Cranberry Pudding
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1.5 cups sifted flour
- 1.5 cups cranberries, cut in half
- Combine eggs, sugar, salt and molasses.
- In a separate container, put 2 teaspoons of soda in 1/3 cup boiling water. Add to egg mixture.
- Stir in flour and cranberries.
- Steam in a buttered rice steamer for 1.5 hours.
- Serve warm with the following sauce:
- 2 sticks of butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of half-and-half cream
Melt the butter then stir in the sugar and half-and-half until the sugar is dissolved.
Recipe from washingtondcforvisitors.com.