2) Senate Bean Soup
- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 4 quarts hot water
- 1.5 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water.
- Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool.
- Dice meat and return to soup.
- Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup.
- Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe from senate.gov.