Memorial Day Essentials: Top Five Desserts (page 4)
May 28, 2011 5:05 AM
- 6 sheets heavy duty aluminum foil (10×12-inch)
- 1 (12 ounce) package prepared sponge cake shells
- cooking spray
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 18 maraschino cherries
- Spray the aluminum sheets with cooking spray, and place a sponge cake shell in the center of each sheet. Spoon the crushed pineapple into the cakes, dividing it equally, and sprinkle each cake with about 1 teaspoon of brown sugar and about 2 teaspoons of nuts. Top each cake with 3 maraschino cherries, and drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoons of the pineapple juice over each cake.
- Wrap the cakes in the foil, leaving some room at the top for air circulation. Place the foil packs onto the embers of a campfire until the cakes are hot and bubbling, about 10 minutes.