Street Date: Justin Bieber’s “Never Say Never: The Remixes” Legitimizes The Teen Dream
Each week our friends at Street Date bring us an indepth review on a just released album. Come back each week for the inside scoop.
Some people might think that anything to do with [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Justin Bieber[/lastfm] and [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Wu-Tang Clan[/lastfm] is impossible, but on Justin’s new album, Never Say Never: The Remixes this happens and it’s sealed with a kiss.
Justin Bieber isn’t exactly known for being “hard” so the juxtaposition between really edgy hip-hop artists remixed with his bubble gum pop presents an interesting audio voyage that appeals to more than his core audience.
However, there’s more to the remix album than merely hip-hop artists. The album actually has something for all walks of life and not just Beliebers.
The album accompanied the release of Justin’s new movie of the same name Never Say Never and was released on Valentines day, just in time for all the girls with Bieber fever to reward themselves from their dream boyfriend.
It includes remixes with Kanye West, Rascal Flatts and Chris Brown & the live recording of “Overboard” with Miley Cyrus.
The Kanye West remix is not the one from G.O.O.D. Fridays and is entirely slated to work less for Kanye’s audience and more for Biebers, which makes sense now that this remix is for the teen dream.
The album may only have seven tracks, but what it lacks in size it makes up for with panache.
More importantly, it has the title song featuring Jaden Smith, which is featured prominently in his film. Any true Justin Bieber fan will have to have this album.
Will the album appeal to everyone? That’s unlikely, but it has the ability to crossover into the fans of artists like Usher, Kanye West and Rascal Flatts, which is an interesting endeavor for someone who’s been pigeonholed in their short career.
Never Say Never: The Remixes Tracklisting
- “Never Say Never” ft. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Jaden Smith[/lastfm]
- “That Should Be Me” remix ft. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Rascal Flatts[/lastfm]
- “Somebody to Love” remix ft. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Usher[/lastfm]
- “Up” remix ft. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Chris Brown[/lastfm]
- “Overboard” live ft. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Miley Cyrus[/lastfm]
- “Runaway Love” [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Kanye West[/lastfm] remix ft. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Raekwon[/lastfm]
- “Born to Be Somebody”